Broward County Public Schools Office of Communications and Legislative Affairs provides leadership in marketing, communications, legislative and governmental affairs.
Marketing and Communications
Develops, implements and communicates the District’s mission, vision and priorities to families, employees, community members and stakeholders. In addition, the Marketing and Communications team is committed to providing accurate information about our District and schools through a variety of communication channels.
Among the Marketing and Communications Responsibilities:
- Implementing strategic, issues and crisis communications and management.
- Creating content for and managing the District’s social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook and Youtube).
- Coordinating annual District events, including the Caliber Awards and the Community Involvement Awards.
- Overseeing volunteer services and the Superintendent’s Screening Programs.
- Operating Broward’s only local public educational TV station, BECON-TV, WBEC-63. BECON-TV also provides a variety of additional services, including but not limited to, the District’s Distance Learning Program, video conferencing services and much more.
- Supporting schools and District departments communication needs with graphic design services for banners, flyers, brochures, flyers and more.
The Broward County Public Schools Office of Communications provides leadership in developing, implementing and communicating the District’s mission, vision and priorities among all education stakeholders. We collaborate with students, teachers, school and District administrators, parents, and the community.
The Mass Media team provides leadership in developing, implementing and communicating the District’s mission, vision and priorities to families, employees, community members and stakeholders. The team is committed to providing accurate information about our District and schools through numerous communication channels.
Among the Mass Media team’s responsibilities:
- Implementing strategic and crisis communications.
- Providing critical guidance, oversight and messaging during emergency situations to keep internal and external stakeholders informed.
- Providing counsel to school and District leadership regarding media issues and events, as well as assisting with communications for families and staff via ParentLink (emails, robocalls, etc.).
- Producing District news releases and media advisories, and coordinating news conferences and media availabilities highlighting accomplishments, initiatives, programs, etc.
- Serving as the District’s liaison for media outlets to develop and produce stories highlighting individual schools, District programs, staff accomplishments, etc., as well as handling daily media inquiries from local and national outlets to ensure accuracy in news reporting.
- Creating content (verbiage and visual components) for the District’s social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram).
- Assisting with content for the District’s website, including the homepage, as well as individual department and program web pages, as needed.
- Partnering with District departments for the development and promotion of ongoing District initiatives such as School Choice, District calendar, Parent University, SMART, summer camps/programs and more.
- Developing, creating, and overseeing design and content for annual publications with community partners, including Grad Ad, Saluting Educational Excellence, recognition of Valedictorians and Salutatorians, etc.
- Providing guidance and assistance to school sites that are approached for commercial filming projects (including coordination of legal review and approval).
As the sixth largest school district in the nation, Broward County Public Schools has 10 percent of Florida’s student population. BCPS champions educational policies that not only impact students within their District but affect students in every classroom across the state. The BCPS Legislative Affairs team, works with the U.S. Congress and Florida Legislature to boost funding and adopt policies that educate today’s students to succeed in tomorrow’s world.
The Broward County Public Schools Governmental Affairs team directs and coordinates the planning and implementation of BCPS various government affairs activities, programs, and initiatives within all the 31 Broward County Municipal Governments and the Board of County Commissioners. This team also sets strategic direction, provides integrative leadership, and recommends institutional standards of practice to ensure that all government relation efforts effectively and efficiently supports the District’s overall mission, vision, and strategic plan.